Saturday, December 17, 2011

My slogan?

Heard a funny story today.

To make a long story short, and more importantly, understandable, it has to do with someone I spoke with on the phone last week, after not having spoken for about six years. He was a student of mine at one time, but I was speaking to him the other day in his professional capacity.

That person talked to some friends today, and told them that he recognized my voice immediately when I called.

Not an unusual thing, I'm sure.

But the funny part was that he said that what he heard in his head, when he recognized my voice, was "Go slow; be perfect."

Something I've said to my students thousands of times.
We focus on gaining physical skills, and the only way to do that is repetition.
Mindful repetitions, not mindless.
It isn't about being fast, it's about being accurate.

That holds just as true with EMS skills as with any other skills.
Accuracy and precision are what is important.
Often, there aren't any do-overs. You have to get it right the first time.
When you practice, stay focused.
Don't rush through it just to get it done.
Go slow; be perfect.

That applies to just about everything I do, really.

So if I'm going to be remembered for something, I'm pretty okay with it being that.

No comments:

Post a Comment