Thursday, February 9, 2012

Albany Med EMS

Saw a "Save the Date" thing on facebook this morning, for Albany Med's EMS Week events.

It includes an EMS Education Day on Tuesday, May 22nd.
Which is great for me, since Tuesday is one of my days off.
The notice says there will be 7 hours of CMEs, with the day running from 08:00 to 18:00.

That's all the information so far. I assume as the time gets closer, they'll announce the topics, or at least the registration information.

They also mention an EMS Competition on Sunday may 20th, but that doesn't work so well for me.

While hunting around on their website to see what information I could find, or if I could at least find al ink to the same information somewhere other than facebook, I stumbled across a resource that I can't recall if I've mentioned before, but even if I have, it bears repeating.  They offer a recorded lecture series, complete with exams for CME credit.  They currently have 44 presentations on the list, covering topics from A to Z. All of which I should watch. Holy crap. There's nearly a year's worth of topics, at one a week, right there.

I am not familiar with the presenters, but I am familiar with the guy who runs the show there, Art Breault. I saw him give a couple of presentations last summer, and was favorably impressed. Gives me hope that these will be similarly worthwhile.

Sounds like they have their act together in Albany.

Added note, a couple of hours later:
I went through the capnography lecture and exam.
The presenter was good, but not great. Nothing wrong with it, but not particularly dynamic.
The information presented was good. It didn't go into great depth, but it's only a basic explanation, more suited for people who are not very familiar with capnography, or a quick refresher.
The exam at the end had relevant questions, and although it was multiple choice, for some of the questions you really had to know the answer. I think that's a good thing.
My only complaint is that it did not show me whether I missed any questions, and I can't tell if that's because I didn't, or because it doesn't provide that kind of feedback.
Overall, I'd say if you need some CME credit, or just want the information, this looks to be an excellent resource. I will definitely do more of them and report back on my experience with them.

2 comments:

  1. I have attended about 50 of the lectures, some online and some in-person at Albany Med. Most of the lectures include a good mix of BLS and ALS aspects of patient assessment and care. Both the quality of the presentations and effectiveness of the presenters are high and are very consistent. Watch for the nights when the lecture is followed by hands-on practice in the "Sim Lab" -- a great experience with good patient actors and/or life-like mannequins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd LOVE to be able to do the Sim Lab hands-on stuff, but alas, I am too far away. I've heard great things about it.

    ReplyDelete