Wednesday, February 8, 2012

MyHeartMap Challenge

Philadelphia has an interesting thing going on.

It's called "MyHeartMap Challenge"

The website says "This project is a community improvement initiative and part of a research study being conducted at the University of Pennsylvania."


Basically, it's a scavenger hunt, where people find as many public access AEDs in Philadelphia as they can.


I think it's an interesting idea.


It's definitely a good idea to know where the AEDs are in your community, because if you need one, you need it right then, and don't have time to go looking.


I question whether they will get much participation. Most people probably aren't that interested- although I wish they would be. They might get people because of the grand prize, though. It's $10,000. Almost makes me want to go visit the city for a couple of days.


I wonder if any other communities will follow suit?


It bothers me, a little, that I don't know where there are AEDs in the small city nearest where I live. 
I know where all of them are in my actual town, because they're currently at the fire station, in the rescue vehicles. That's easy.
But the nearest shopping area? I don't know. I know the grocery store I usually go to has one, but I don't know where it is. It isn't out in the open. Might be in an office? I know three of the places I teach have one, and they are out where they are easy to get to, so that's great. I know where the one at the shopping mall is. Other than that... I don't really know. Do all the schools have one? I think they are supposed to. What other places are supposed to have one? Seems to me that pretty much any place were large groups gather ought to.


I think I will make a project of this for myself, to find them all. I'm not sure there is a way for me to be sure I've found every one, but I can sure try.

No comments:

Post a Comment