Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Maybe Not So Lonely Soon?

Those of you who have been reading this blog for a while might remember my post about our new EMT who was discouraged from training. I don't think I ever posted about what happened next. Long story short- she defected. Went to be a bunker at a different department. One that has regular training. Where she is encouraged, rather than hassled and discriminated against.

Absolutely the right choice for her. No doubt about it. I actively encouraged her to go because she was not going to get what she needs out here.
A bummer for us, though.

A couple of months later, we had a new member join the department, who was an EMT elsewhere. Several years of BLS experience, with an agency that had a somewhat limited scope of practice.

Well.
She's turning out to be okay. Not great at assessments (I think she hasn't had a lot of practice), but she usually shows up, and when she does, she steps right up and offers to help, no skulking around in the background waiting to have her hand held.  Some room for improvement- as we all have- but already a good addition.

And, to top it off, a former member from years ago, long before I was ever involved, has decided to rejoin, and recertify. From the brief discussion I've had the opportunity to have with him, it sounds like he might have his head in the right place, and be another good addition.  If he really does recertify, we could be about to double our resources. There will be four of us who actually show up and do the job.

I'm delighted.
I love doing this, but it doesn't mean I want to do it all by myself!

With four of us, we can do a lot of great training as a team. Maybe enter one of those JEMS Games sort of things sometime. Some places have BLS competitions.

Yeah, I'm getting ahead of myself.
Still, it reduces the stress just a little to have at least the hope of having a real crew out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment